Friday, March 1, 2013

Siblings

So- I do not want to set up a deeper rivalry between my children than would naturally exist.

AND I struggle to be fair.

When the boy asks to go to a friend's house with 2 other boys, I say "Call me when you get there"  He forgets, but does eventually call.  I say "Be home by 6:30 and call before you leave <friend's> house" 

At 6:38 I call another one of the boys' cell phone, and say "Can I talk to Brady?" "Oh, he's not here" So I go to the park and there he is.  Without shoes.  He hasn't called, he hasn't checked in, and he has no shoes on.

So, I ask him why I would be upset, after explaining these 3 points to him.  He replies "Because I didn't do what I was supposed to do"

Well- good enough.  So you can go to your room for the rest of the evening with no ipod.

Keep in mind, I alkso asked him if his chores were done, to which he said yes. So we walked over and LOW and BEHOLD, no- not done.  Trash not taken out, of course.

Contrast that with the girl who asks me before school "Can I sweep the floor after breakfast so I don't have to do it after school?" and empties the dish washer without being asked.  Who gets straight A's and is completely responsible.

HOW do I, from the Boy's perspective, not be "Nicer" to her?  I mean- I have no REASON to say anything buy "yes" when she asks for permission to do something, yet it's really like the Spanish Inquisition when he asks to go to a friend's house, then he still doesn't handle it right and he gets in trouble.

I see where he's coming from, but I also don't feel like I'm being extra tough on him.

What's a dad to do...

1 comment:

  1. Why do I find myself having the same conversations with my children that you have you with your children on a regular basis?

    And why is it so hard to take out the trash? It takes 5 minutes. It's the ONE job you have to do around the house that isn't directly caused by your own mess, such as your room, put away your laundry. But it's a fight every time to try to get him to take it out. I hint, I ask, and then I have to tell him to do it "right now". Because if the "right now" isn't specified he'll say that he thought I meant he could get to it whenever, and then 2 days goes by and it's still not done.

    Contrast that to the girl child who is practically perfect in every way. Cleans up after herself, cleans up after the others, and does anything you ask her to do without delay and with a smile. Teachers pet, etc. etc. etc.

    And they wonder why we drink.

    ReplyDelete